Saint Michael Cemetery was established in 1851 and has 48 acres. Saint Michael Cemetery was designated as a German Catholic Cemetery. The property was originally called “Saint Michael-Gottes Acker” which means “God’s Acre”. Many artistic memorials here symbolize the German heritage that began in Old Louisville and moved to the Germantown area.
The Parishes of St. Boniface, St. Martin, and St. Vincent de Paul were originally responsible for the maintenance of Saint Michael Cemetery. St. Elizabeth of Hungary added its support in 1906.
Diocesan and Franciscan Priests, Ursuline Sisters, Sisters of St. Frances and Sisters of Notre Dame have their lots at Saint Michael Cemetery. Saint Michael Cemetery offers the rite of burial to the Catholic Community and all of God’s people. Over 43,000 persons have been laid to rest at Saint Michael Cemetery. Although limited, there are still graves available for sale at Saint Michael.