Saint Louis Cemetery
1167 Barret Avenue | Louisville, KY 40204
The first Saint Louis Cemetery opened for services in 1811 and was located behind the original Saint Louis Church at 10th and Main Streets. When Saint Louis Church was relocated in 1831, the grave sites were moved to the Catholic section of Western Cemetery. The grave sites were later moved to the present Saint Louis Cemetery which was opened in 1867.
Saint Louis Cemetery has approximately 43 acres and is surrounded by over a mile of limestone wall. Saint Louis Cemetery was known as the “Irish” Catholic cemetery, but Catholics from many different heritages have been laid to rest here. Diocesan priests, including Bishop O’Donaghue, Xaverian Brothers, Sister of St. Frances, Sisters of Mercy and Little Sisters of the Poor have graves in Saint Louis Cemetery. Saint Louis Cemetery offers the rite of burial to the Catholic Community and all of God’s people. Over 47,000 persons have been laid to rest at Saint Louis. Come visit the beautiful memorials that reflect the beliefs and symbolism of our Catholic faith. Although limited, there are still graves available for sale at Saint Louis Cemetery.