Archdiocesan Catholic Cemeteries
Calvary Cemetery was established in 1921 and, with its over 200 acres, is the largest of the Catholic Cemeteries. Calvary Cemetery is home to the Catholic Cemeteries Office. A statue of Rachel mourning silently sits in the center of the Holy Innocents Section for infants of all faiths.
Archbishops Kelly, McDonough and Floresh and Bishop Maloney are buried at Calvary in the section for diocesan priests. The Sister of Mercy, Resurrectionist Priests and Xaverian Brothers also have lots here.
Various sized lots, community mausoleums and columbariums, family mausoleums, and two committal chapels transform the valleys and hills into a city of stone and art.
About 55,000 persons have been laid to rest at Calvary Cemetery.
St. Michael Cemetery
St. Michael Cemetery was established in 1851 and has 48 acres. St. Michael Cemetery was designated as a German Catholic Cemetery. The property was originally called "St. Michael-Gottes Acker" which means "God's Acre".
The Parishes of St. Boniface, St. Martin, and St. Vincent de Paul were originally responsible for the maintenance of St. Michael Cemetery. St. Elizabeth of Hungary added its support in 1906.
Diocesan and Franciscan Priests, Ursuline Sisters, Sisters of St. Frances and Sisters of Notre Dame have their lots at St. Michael Cemetery.
About 42,000 persons have been laid to rest at St. Michael Cemetery.
St. Louis Cemetery
The first St. Louis Cemetery opened for services in 1811 and was located behind the original St. Louis Church at 10th and Main Streets. When St. Louis Church was relocated in 1831, the grave sites were moved to the Catholic section of Western Cemetery. The grave sites were later moved to the present St. Louis Cemetery which was opened in 1867.
St. Louis Cemetery was known as the "Irish" Catholic cemetery, but Catholics from many different heritages have been laid to rest here. Diocesan priests, Xaverian Brothers and Little Sisters of the Poor have lots in St. Louis Cemetery.
Over a mile of limestone wall surrounds the property. About 48,000 persons have been laid to rest at St. Louis Cemetery.
St. John Cemetery
St. John Cemetery was first known as St. Mary Cemetery. As recorded in the Jefferson County Deed Book 74, p. 584, on November 30th, 1849, the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth conveyed by deed nine acres of land to the Diocese of Louisville, extending west of Duncan and 26th Streets. Cemetery lots were laid out and the first burial took place in 1851. This cemetery, first called St. Mary's, later became known as St. John's.
Over 8,400 persons have been laid to rest at St. John Cemetery.